giovedì 29 marzo 2012

Navy Medicine

My mother just cringed at the title and thought “please don’t use profanity, my friends read this!” But she will be pleasantly surprised, that I have had some pleasant experiences with Navy Medicine in Naples.
My first doctor’s appointment for the baby was her four month check up and shots.  I actually had to wait for over an hour but for some reason it didn’t bother me.  It might be that I am just accustomed to waiting now and if I am seen within an hour of the appointment, I feel like it was on time! When I finally got to see the doctor, he explained why I had to wait, which always makes me less angry if you explain the problem (and don’t pass the blame!).  He was a large man who was very tough looking.  If you saw him around town, you would not guess his career was a pediatrician.  He asked all the appropriate questions and told me my baby was right on track based on the developmental guidelines.  He even melted when he saw her leg rolls!!  He spoke to me like I was intelligent but didn’t try to intimidate me by showing how intelligent he was.  He answered any questions I had and sent me to the immunization office.  The doctors here don’t give the shots.  He was awesome.
Four Month Old Birthday Shot


So then I had my life insurance physical with my doctor.  He was also very nice and welcoming.  He helped complete a form and didn’t make me do a bunch of ridiculous running around to get everything completed.  He had an awesome nurse who was very friendly and helpful.  The doctor told me he couldn’t wait to see the baby for her 6 month (it was family practice) and I explained that she was in the peds clinic.  He immediately said, here is the form you fill out to switch her to my service. Wow! Two great doctors who wanted to take care of my baby.  I was so confused about what to do.
Four Months Old and Loves her toes

My gut said I should stay with peds for the baby but I thought that if I didn’t switch, every time I saw my doctor I would feel guilty and hurt his feelings (I still had lots of emotional side effects from the nursing going on!).  I thought that if I felt guilty I would not go see my doctor and eventually we want to have another child so I will have to go to the doctor.  So I switched.  I immediately felt like I made the wrong decision for my baby.  When I grew up I went to a pediatrician.  My cousin is a pediatrician.  Why did I choose to go with the less specialized practice and the less familiar situation?  I even thought if I saw the pediatrician I would feel like I needed to apologize to him and explain that maybe I was bullied a little (apparently I have some issues with being bullied!)

St. Patrick's Day (5 Months)

Yesterday I went to the doctor for the baby’s 6 month appointment.  I realized that everything I thought was ridiculous.  The doctors don’t actually remember me and asking to see my baby.  The other doctor won’t remember that I was his patient and I am no longer.  They see too many people and have constant change with everyone moving every several years.  Yesterday’s appointment went well but it was a pretty standard appointment.  He didn’t ask as many questions about the baby and didn’t really answer my questions about how to get my baby to eat solid foods.  I am not positive I made the right decision but I am going to stick with him for a few more appointments.  I realized after talking with several other mothers or mothers to be that if I really don’t like it, I can switch back.  For some reason, I don’t feel like I get to make choices like that with Navy medicine, it might have something to do with switching prenatal care at 5 months and then being told they didn’t have any appointments to see me!  Plus, I can always ask my dad or my cousin!
6 Month Birthday Photo Shoot

2 commenti:

  1. Since the topic is not as exciting as some, I added pictures of the baby!! She makes it all more exciting!

    RispondiElimina
  2. You have 2 cousins who are peds.. one is Military.

    RispondiElimina