martedì 27 marzo 2012

Pozzouli Fish Market

There are so many different markets in the surrounding areas.  While Jay was visiting, we went to the Pozzouli Fish Market.  This market is mainly fish and produce with some random vendors selling cleaning products.  This was my first experience at an open market in a foreign country. As we were wondering looking at all the products, I had no intentions of buying anything.  And we were with Jay so Matt and I figured we would be wandering slowly waiting for him to stop at every booth and say “Oh my God, this is the best looking ____ I have ever seen!”  At one point, I ended up a booth ahead of Jay and Matt (they were looking at meat and cheese).  I was looking at strawberries that were red and delicious!  The vendor said something in Italian which I think was pretty much here take this.  I asked how much the strawberries cost but I didn’t know my numbers enough to understand the answer.  I didn’t want to buy the strawberries but before I knew what was happening the strawberries were in my hand in a bag and my husband gave me money to pay.  I thought she said the strawberries were 1 euro but apparently they were 1.50 and there were only 5 strawberries.  Yup.  I paid pretty much 75 cents per strawberries.  I got bullied by an old Italian lady.  But they were really very delicious!
After the produce side, we went to the fish side.  I held my breath the entire time!  There were eels swimming in buckets.  There were snails crawling out of the buckets and all over the counters. 





There were fish heads looking at me.  There were big shrimp with beady eyes.  Matt and Jay ended up getting shrimp and bivalves.  I am not quite sure what type of bivalve they bought but while we were at the market, they both ate one raw!! 


We took all of our goodies (even the strawberries I was bullied into buying) back to our house and had a delicious lunch.
notice the smallest and most expensive strawberries!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento