lunedì 18 giugno 2012

Veterinario


Today was my first trip to the vet with the dog, the baby, and me!  I have been lucky enough that all the visits to the vet, since the baby was born, someone has offered to go and help (at least 5 different visits with all the legal stuff to move the dog to the new country)!  This may sound silly but it is a bit more complicated to entertain a baby, control a dog that doesn’t want to go somewhere and is really strong, and not be completely obnoxious to all the other clients!  But the dog really needed to go back to the vet because she has been in a cone for 5 weeks.  While we were in Paris, she got in a scuffle with another dog over food and Lucy’s face was the big loser.  She had several different sets of stitches, infections, oozing yuckiness, and several trips to the vet.  The poor dog has worn a cone for 5 weeks with probably ten minutes total of cone-free time.  And every time the cone came off, she scratched her wound.  So you can imagine everyone is sick of the cone.  It makes me feel terribly guilty that she is wearing a cone because we went on a trip (I know it is not rational) and I want her to know I am sorry.  It is hard to explain to a dog that you don’t want her to be miserable.
So back to our trip.  I brought the Ergo so I would be able to have my hands-free while holding the baby. And then I could comfort Lucy when she was on the vet table.  I was not sure if the vet that spoke English would be there and I was not sure if the other people spoke English but I figured I would give it a shot because I was really worried about my puppy.  The veterinario is slightly different than in the States.  First of all, its first come first serve.  So you could have a quick trip or you could be there for a while.  The door is locked so you have to be let in by either an employee or someone else who works there.  The entire process is pretty informal.  There is no checking in at the front desk and no paperwork (maybe there was paperwork the first visits when I was in Paris).   When someone has a chance, they come and ask you what is wrong and eventually the vet will see you.
While we were waiting, some of the other clients were talking to me…or at me.  I think they asked me what was wrong with the dog or maybe if she was nice.  Then the lady saw the baby…it was like she noticed a big diamond!  She got so excited and started rubbing the baby’s face.  And pinching her cheeks.  When she started asking me about the baby (questions I do understand) she was about to take the baby out of the Ergo (a little awkward moment) and started kissing her on the cheek!   Then she went to go get her friends to see the baby.  There were four of them and they literally starred at the baby for five minutes before they left the vet! 
Lucy cleaning up my major fail-dropping an entire container of baby food which exploded everywhere!

Finally, it was our time to go back.  Lucy was not interested.  I was trying to drag her back but she is stubborn and strong.  Finally the vet had to pick her up and carry her to the table.  He looked and said that because it was a bite, the wounds heal slowly and that it was infected again.  We had two options, another round of antibiotics and a new cleaning spray, or cutting out the entire wound and trying to re-stitch it and there might have to be a flap (sounded pretty complicated and not fun).  So we opted for the drugs and go back on Friday.  Fingers crossed that we do not have to cut up her face again!
New challenge-the vets do not give you the drugs, they give you a prescription.  The vet must have realized I was unfamiliar with this process of maybe I had a blank look on my face because he immediately said you can get it filled at any farmacia.  So after the visit to the vet, I had a new adventure in my future! We had to find an Italian farmacia and actually go inside! 
Luckily there was one right around the corner on the way home.  The parking lot was super crowded so I found one on the edge of the street and got the baby out of the car.  The farmacia was surprisingly painless.  I just handed her the slip of paper and she had it ready in 2 minutes.  I know my numbers but I have a really tough time understanding how much things cost when an Italian speaks quickly. Sometimes I am giving a 20 euro bill when I know it is less than that because I am not sure of the exact price!  While I was getting ready to pay, the other employee came to see the baby and put her hands out to hold her and the baby went to her!!  So while I was paying, the baby was making new friends!  Then when I finished and went to get my baby, she wouldn’t come back to me!!!  I finally got her to come to me and we decided to go to the little market next door.  We bought some peaches and carrots and the baby immediately tried to eat the peach!!
So despite the fact that my dog still has a hole in her face and is wearing a cone, I think it was a successful day.
My babies hanging out on the couch

1 commento:

  1. The only thing Lucy gets out of this is she can now get on the sofa. Her position doesn't look that comfortable with the cone and her head shoved in between the pillows!

    RispondiElimina