martedì 5 giugno 2012

6 Month Slump

One of my friends taught abroad for a year.  She told me that at about 6 months, she was ready to come home.  That was always in the back of my head and I realized I am in the 6 month slump.  I am not unhappy here but I am homesick. I miss being able to call/see my family.  I miss Jersey Mike’s, sushi, regular salads, going to Target or Walmart.  I miss being able to go to a craft store to find materials for all the really cool projects on Pinterest.  I miss DVR.  I miss being able to walk the dog around the neighborhood without fearing I will be hit by a car.  I miss walking to the mailbox.  Driving 30 minutes to check the mail when my husband is gone is a big pain, especially when you make the drive and pay the tolls to find out there is nothing in the mailbox!  I hate ordering things online and not knowing if it will take 7 days or 4 months to get here. It seems that gifts are ALWAYS late, even if I plan months in advance. I miss living in a neighborhood without a gate to keep the gypsies out.  I was yelled at by my Italian neighbor because my gate button stuck and she thought I was intentionally trying to compromise her security.  I miss being able to clearly explain myself and not have people think I am an idiot.  I miss using the washer and dryer whenever I want and not having to wait until after 7PM to use electricity because it is cheaper.  I miss being able to look out of my windows without having to unlock the windows, pull up the screen, and unlock the shutters.  I miss my husband.  His job keeps him at work too long every day and keeps him away on travel too often.  I miss being able to exercise outside without feeling like I need someone else with me. I am tired of feeling like Mad-Eye Moody and having “constant vigilance” while wandering around.  I miss having a cell phone that works in my house.  I miss lots of little things that you definitely take for granted.

Italy has a lot of wonderful perks and I continue to discover new things.  Every morning I have a cup of coffee and look at the ocean, I mean, how can you complain about that? There is so much for me to still figure out about Italy and I am looking forward to it.  I am just homesick.


1 commento:

  1. We miss all of you. It won't be long before you are here and you can have all the freedom you want!!

    RispondiElimina