mercoledì 25 aprile 2012

Since Life is Boring

I am a teacher and I have not been in a classroom for 3.5 school years.  This makes me sad and at the same time I feel blessed.  I am able to stay home with our precious munchkin and teach her about the world. 
I taught 2 years of kindergarten (kindergarten teachers have a special place in heaven as do middle school teachers) and 5 years in first grade (which I LOVED).  I have my Masters in Reading Education.  When I moved to California, I assumed I would be able to get a job teaching.  I had my California license before I got to the state.  Unfortunately, the state is having some budget issues and the teachers are one of the major “expenses” that could be cut.  So, I was not an appealing hire because I had experience and education so I was too expensive.  I tried to sub but I HATED it.  I did not like being in someone else’s classroom trying to follow the lesson plans even if I thought it was a terrible lesson.  I applied for jobs in daycares but I did not have the “proper” education for working in a daycare.  I applied for jobs in tutoring centers but high school students are cheaper.  So, while in California I mooched off my husband.  Coming to Italy, I thought that maybe I would teach in the DOD schools.  Several people told me that spouses are only allowed to be assistants or subs.  And childcare is very difficult to get (there is a waiting list for the infant section of the daycare and you can either go everyday or not at all).  And I LOVE being with my baby.  So I am not overly motivated to go back to work.
So what did I do?  I signed up to be a Stampin’ Up demonstrator…meaning I am starting my own business.  Seriously??? What was I thinking.  I don’t have time to shower on some days and I think I can start a successful business.  I don’t have many friends and I think I can sell wonderful scrapbooking and stamping products.  And the friends I do have, don’t scrapbook.  So I am doing something that scares me.  I am trying something that I am not good at (sales) and attempting to share my love of crafting with others.  I am scared of failure so I have to make this work. 
Now, I have to find time to actually scrapbook.  Hmmmm.
Or my facebook page (like it so it looks like I have customers) https://www.facebook.com/#!/ScraptasticStampers
Here are the first two cards I made as a demonstrator.  Of course I broke the rule of using product that has retired but since it is for personal use I think it will be okay!


2 commenti: